BACTRIM OVER THE COUNTER
- Brand Amoxil$0.57
- Flagyl ER$0.26
Bactrim is a synthetic antibacterial product used to treat ear infections, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, urinary tract infections.
Active Ingredient: Trimethoprim, Sulfamethoxazole
Availability: In Stock (31 packs)
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|60 pills||$0.84||$50.40||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$0.73||$10.28||$75.60 $65.32||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$0.67||$20.56||$100.80 $80.24||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$0.61||$41.13||$151.20 $110.07||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$0.57||$71.97||$226.80 $154.83||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.55||$102.82||$302.40 $199.58||ADD TO CART|
Bactrim – general information
Bactrim – is a broad-spectrum bactericidal drug, is active against many microorganisms such as: E. coli, gonococcus, streptococcus, staphylococcus, meningococcus, cholera vibrioes, salmonella, listeria, hemophilus bacillus, klebsielle, hoe’s bacilli, tremoris, salmonella, listeria, hemophilus, klebsielle, hoecylis vibrio, salmonella, listeria, hemophilus, Klebsiella, vibrosum bacterium enterobacter, shigella, citrobacter, moganelle, chlamydia, intestinal yersiniosis, toxoplasma, pathogenic fungi, plasmodia, histoplasma, actinomycete, as well as causative agents of nocardiosis, legionellosis, coccidioidosis, tularemia and pneumocystic pneumonia.
The action of the drug due to its constituent two active ingredients – trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. They, blocking two enzymes that catalyze successive stages of the folic acid biosynthesis in microorganisms, possess a synergistic property, i.e. reinforce the effect of each other. Thanks to this mechanism, the in vitro bactericidal action (outside of a living organism) is achieved even at such a concentration of active substances, at which, separately, the components of Bactrim exhibit only a bacteriostatic effect.
However, it should be borne in mind that the following microorganisms are resistant to the action of Bactrim: viruses, coryneform bacteria and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
After using the drug, its therapeutic effect lasts up to 7 hours.
Release the drug in these forms:
- Adult tablets containing 480 mg of co-trimoxazole (which corresponds to 400 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 80 mg of trimethoprim);
- Bactrim Forte tablets at a dosage of 960 mg (800/160 mg);
- Bactrim tablets for children 120 mg (100/20 mg);
- Concentrate for the preparation of a solution intended for infusions at a dose of 480 mg (400/80 mg);
- Syrup, 1 scoop (5 ml) of which contains 240 mg of co-trimoxazole (200/40 mg);
- Suspension Bactrim with a dosage of active ingredients similar to syrup.
Auxiliary components of Bactrim are: 70% sorbitol, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, dispersed cellulose, polysorbate 80, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, vanilla and banana flavors (in syrup and suspension), purified water.
Bactrim instruction for use (Dosage for adults and children)
The specific dosage of the drug prescribed by the doctor, depending on the type of disease and the severity of its course.
Standard dosage for tablets:
- Children over 12 years old and adults: once 1 tab. Bactrim Forte (960 mg), then twice a day at 480 mg. With severe disease – 480 mg three times a day;
- Children 6-12 years: 240-480 mg 2 times a day.
- 2-6 years: 120-240 mg twice a day;
- Children 1-2 years: twice 120 mg;
Bactrim Suspension is taken twice a day, the dose depends on age:
- Adults and children from 12 years: 960 mg;
- Children 7-12 years old: 480 mg;
- 4-6 years: 240-480 mg;
- 7 months – 3 years: 120-240 mg;
- 3-6 months: 120 mg.
Bactrim syrup for children should also be taken twice a day at a dose of:
- 6-12 years: 240-480 mg;
- 2-6 years: 180-240 mg;
- 1-2 years: 120 mg.
A solution is prepared from the concentrate, which is administered intravenously or parenterally.
The minimum course of treatment is 4 days – until the symptoms disappear, after which the drug should be taken for another 2 days. For the prevention of recurrence of chronic diseases, the doctor may prescribe a drug in a maintenance dosage, the duration of preventive therapy is 3-12 months.
Bactrim indications for use
The instruction to Bactrim states that this antimicrobial drug is intended for the treatment of infections:
- genitourinary system: venereal lymphogranuloma, epididymitis, cystitis, pyelitis, pyelonephritis, gonorrhea, inguinal granuloma, soft chancre, urethritis, prostatitis;
- gastrointestinal tract: cholera, typhoid fever, dysentery, gastroenteritis, cholecystitis, cholangitis, paratyphoid fever, salmonellosis and salmonellosis;
- respiratory tract: acute and chronic bronchitis, pneumocystic pneumonia, bronchiectasis, lobar pneumonia, bronchopneumonia;
- ENT organs: sore throats, laryngitis, scarlet fever, otitis media, sinusitis;
- soft tissues and skin: furunculosis, acne, pyoderma, and wound infections.
In addition, Bactrim, according to reviews, showed efficacy in the treatment of brucellosis, malaria, osteoarticular infections, toxoplasmosis and South American blastomycosis.
According to the instructions, Bactrim is not prescribed for:
- The presence of hypersensitivity to the drug;
- Aplastic anemia;
- Renal / hepatic failure;
- Deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase;
- B12-deficiency anemia;
- Hyperbilirubinemia in children;
- Pregnancy and lactation.
The solution for intramuscular administration is contraindicated in pneumocystic pneumonia and in children under 6 years of age.
Despite the fact that these forms of the drug are intended primarily for children, it is forbidden to give syrup and Bactrim suspension to children up to 3 months.
With caution, medication prescribed for bronchial asthma, folic acid deficiency and thyroid disease.
Bactrim side effects
Numerous reviews of Bactrim indicate that the drug is well tolerated, and its side effects are mainly skin allergic reactions and digestive disorders. However, it should be borne in mind that in isolated cases from patients complained of:
- Headache, dizziness, tremor, apathy, depression;
- Decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, gastritis, cholestasis, stomatitis, hepatitis, glossitis; Arthralgia, myalgia;
- Impaired renal function, hematuria, crystalluria, polyuria.
Bactrim special instructions
Bactrim, which contains two active substances that have a synergistic effect, should be prescribed only in cases where, according to the doctor, it is impossible to dispense with the use of only one antibacterial agent.
With long-term (more than 1 month) treatment with Bactrim, it is necessary to do a blood test regularly, since there is a risk of hematological changes, which, by the way, are reversible when folic acid is administered in a daily dose of 3-6 mg, and this dosage does not significantly impair the antimicrobial activity of the drug. Therefore, folic acid is recommended to be taken simultaneously with long-term therapy and / or taking high doses of this medication.
While using Bactrim, it is not recommended to use products containing para-aminobenzoic acid in large quantities (in particular, spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes, legumes and carrots).